Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Volunteer’s Inside Scoop: Part 1 of 2

Ever wonder how to go about volunteering? What is it like? Why do it? These are all questions that frequently come up. So, we asked a volunteer to share some of his experiences and thoughts. The questions and responses are divided into two parts. The first is this week’s post and Part Two is next week.

Q. How did you find a volunteer activity?
A. I learned of Volunteer Connect, a clearing house for many volunteer activities here in Central Oregon. It was easy to access their website and I usually checked the listing about once a week. I have actually found three activities in which I currently participate. First was Volunteers in Action. It is a group that helps seniors and the disabled remain in their homes. The second was the Deschutes Children’s Foundation who operates four facilities used by non-profit agencies. The third, and most recent, was serving as the e-newsletter editor for Volunteer Connect itself.

I find that not only does the volunteering keep me busy, it offers a chance to meet new people, and of course, it is very satisfying to know that my efforts are appreciated. It is eminently rewarding to feel that I am giving something back to the community.

Next week: Part Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment