Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Inside Scoop: Part 2 of 2

Contiued from the post of November 19, 2013.

Q. Those seem to be diverse activities. Can you give us an idea of what it is that you do?
A. Well, as I mentioned, the first organization was Volunteers in Action, in which I still do volunteer work. When I started with them several years ago, they were known as Interfaith Volunteer Caregivers. They announced a need for a handy man on Volunteer Connect. The jobs are usually small things that take just a few minutes. For example, I provided a ride to a doctor’s appointment.

Next, I volunteered at the Deschutes Children’s Foundation (DCF). They provide facilities for non-profit organizations in Bend, Redmond, and La Pine. Part of the arrangement is maintenance services for the occupants. My role is that of accomplishing what I consider the “honey-do list.” This involves simple tasks such as changing light bulbs.

Volunteer Connect announced a need for an e-newsletter editor and I thought I would give it a try. One of the neat things about the job is that I could work from home. The newsletter appears once a month and involves developing a theme, finding out what is new, and fitting it all into a format. The Volunteer Connect staff supplies information. So, the job doesn’t take much time.

Overall, I think a quote by Harriet Naylor sums it up:
“Volunteering can be an exciting, growing, enjoyable experience. It is truly gratifying to serve a cause, practice one's ideals, work with people, solve problems, see benefits, and know that one had a hand in them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment